OK, it’s time to make the big move and you have more questions than answers.
Don’t worry, that’s normal! We are going to tackle the age old question of driving vs shipping, and how you can save money doing one or the other.
Let’s analyze the cost to ship a vehicle from New York to Los Angeles. Our sample car is a 2005 Honda Accord, which we chose because of its best-in-class fuel economy (27mpg, which includes just a bit of in-town use). Please consider the actual mileage achieved by your vehicle, because chances are the mileage is just not the same as an Accord.
New York to Los Angeles
- Average cost for one gallon of gas: $3.10
- Distance from New York to Los Angeles: 2778
- Total Gas Needed: (2778 miles / 27mpg = 103 gallons of gas) (103 gallons x $3.10 per gallon) $319.30
- Time Spent Driving: 6 Days, 5 Nights
- Hotel Cost: (5 nights x $80 per night) $400
- Meal Cost: ($25 per day x 6 days) $150
- Everything Added Together To Drive Yourself: $869.30
- Cost of All American Shipping Your Vehicle: Just over a Thousand Bucks’
- Piece of Mind: PRICELESS!!
When calculating this figure it is important to consider that NOTHING has gone wrong with your vehicle, and we have assumed you are traveling alone (or cost of food doubles)… Most importantly, we have NOT ASSIGNED A VALUE TO YOUR TIME. Not to mention the vast potential for issues while driving across country; flat tire, mechanical failure, simply getting lost, etc. Don’t forget, you will need to change your oil after that long trip, and your car will have just added almost 3000 miles to the odometer, thus depreciating your baby!!!
Yes, you will get to see the country, which is an amazing experience. If you have the time to make a trip of it, driving is a great option. If you want a no-hassle, worry free way to get your vehicle from one side of our beautiful country to the other…